It’s always a good idea to test fabric before buying and dyeing it. I was thrilled to find a 116″ wide sateen in white at Backside Fabrics, and they kindly sent me a good-sized single swatch.
You can see the results above, from left:
- Pimatex PFD
- Prewashed wide sateen
- Unwashed wide sateen
I did a quick bit of stitching and drawing up to create the circles on the sateen. That is my goal for this fabric – to make a large stitched Shibori whole-cloth quilt top!
- The fabric weight is 1.9 oz per square yard, which is comparable to a lawn.
- The Pimatex weight is 3.7 oz per square yard, while a canvas might weigh 7 oz.
- The color difference is not as great under normal lighting as it appears under the photographic lights.
- The unwashed is just a hair darker than the prewashed, which is great!
- It needles very nicely, and the shiny side has stayed that way.
Once I get it on order, I will be adding it to the bolts section of the website. We’re adding a bunch of fabrics from Robert Kaufman there, too.
If you’d like a whole bolt, drop me a line at Lisa at DippyDyes .com.