Well, one hope I had for Carol’s class is that it would help serve as a means to get me re-motivated, energised, etc. It has succeeded in doing that! Yesterday I fired up the hot plate and Thiox and Clorox solutions (outside) and tested a rainbow assortment of fabrics I dyed the day before, plus a commercial batik that had produced good results in class. (That’s on the left in the picture.) We tested pure MX dyes in class, so now I’m starting to build a reference of discharged simple mixes. Someday with my free time (!) I’ll get through the simple mixes and mess about with three primaries.
Looking at the amount of time involved in one simple page of swatches has made me decide to sign up for Color Mixing for Dyers. There are some spots left in the fall, and I’m calling dibs on one of them! That and a check in the mail might get me somewhere. Now I just need the cost/benefit analysis to persuade DH.
One thing I learned this week is that a warm solution of new chlorine bleach is far, far superior to the old, cold mix I made up. Got around it, but add that to the long, long “learn by doing wrong” list.
Well, it’s 11:30 and time to quit for tonight. One more week of the under-paying, gas-drinking job and I’ll be focusing on dyeing and quilting! If that’s not scary, I don’t know what is.