One of the top two fabrics of the year

OK, first, I can’t believe that I haven’t posted anything since April. APRIL!But though brief, I am going to remedy that now. Here’s a picture and a detail of one of the two best pieces of fabric that I made this year. I got a photo in the booth as I waved bye-bye. It’s a […]

Can you mail an elephant?

That was the subject line of an email I sent when I needed to get this quilt back. It’s part of “Celebrate the Day with Quilts – An Art Quilt Challenge” by Shannon Shirley. My quilt is one of 72 in the book – six quilts per month celebrating some of the well- and lesser-known […]

All the stops, post #2

OK, all these photos were taken over the course of several day’s work – they’re not all from today. The first picture shows the results of yesterday’s devoré plus disperse test. The dye looks blackish-purple before heat-setting, and the pink seersucker burned out very nicely. The pink color comes from MX. Next is an piece […]

Pulling out all the stops weekend, part 1

My post from the 29th is about my decision to stay home from the craft show in Virginia. Since then I’ve spent a lot of time tidying and putting things away in the studio, so I have room to work. And most of the past three days I’ve been practicing and experimenting and learning more […]

Another experiment, craft show & Coursera

I’ve been working on the quilt that’s due on November 15 (no pictures until later), and today I went to the local chapter craft show and took pictures of other vendors booths, and had a good chat with a number of the vendors. This was first thing on Sunday, when it wasn’t too busy. I’ll […]

Scarves and more

The scarves are out of the autoclave! And I did some experiments with buttons and bean-bag poly pellets while they were processing. Here are pictures: All three wrapped pipes  The resulting scarves in the same order Before processing After processing  The finished scarf Buttons and poly pellets Some buttons did not dye either […]

More from the Barn and since then, part 4

OK, my worktable was a disaster. I needed to sew a bit on the tent, so I had to clean everything off. The tent project ended up to be a life lesson – don’t try to sew through adhesive Velcro! Once I got the gummy balls out of the machine it worked fine again, and […]

More from the Barn and since then, part 3

This is a value sample made simply with drops of dye mixed with gradually increasing amounts of water. Click on the image to see a larger version.   The second photo shows some DSP prints that I made while in class. When home, I pulled out my plastic faux wood grain tool and spread thickened […]

More from the Barn and since then, part 2

When I got home, after unloading everything out of the van that we’d taken for the show, camping and class, I had a series of black to pales grey fabrics to dye for a customer. This is the result. After that, the next project was processing the color samples from class. This first picture is […]

More from the Barn and since then, part 1

Here are some pictures of the work that came out of my week with Carol Soderlund at the Nancy Crow Barn, and what I’ve been working on since. This fabric happens to be a ‘dye rag’ that I used when working in class. I like this picture because it shows the difference that happens when […]